Back in June, I went over to a friend’s house to celebrate my birthday. She got me gifts and made me the most amazing salad. She is one of the few friends I know that eats clean with me.
This salad was three things: healthy, filling, and mouthwatering. It is loaded with super foods, which means vitamins, minerals, fiber, protein, antioxidants, and omega-3, to name a few. These things are great for your heart, your brain, eyesight, bones, skin, energy level, even your mood…your overall health really!
And what do you know, I discovered my new favorite salad for those reasons.
Start with cooking your salmon. Preheat the oven to 400 and bake for about 10-15 minutes, frequently checking it to ensure you do not overcook. While the salmon is baking, cook 1/4 cup of dry quinoa according to package instructions.
Add about a cup of balsamic vinegar to a small pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
Prepare your toppings, slice the cherry tomatoes in half, cut the avocado into cubes, and cut the asparagus in 1 inch slices.
Once the salmon is done (flakes easily with a fork), set your oven to a low broil. Place the asparagus on a baking sheet, and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
You know something, I hate pepper. Like, I do not own any. I have an extremely sensitive mouth, so even pepper tastes spicy to me. Needless to say, pepper does not go on my salad 😉
Leave the asparagus in the oven for about 5 minutes. Flip, or rearrange the pieces then broil for about 3-5 minutes longer.
Now just place the spinach on a plate or bowl, and top with all of your other ingredients. Pour olive oil and balsamic glaze over your salad.
Go to town on that delicious power salad!
Yeah, we cooked an extra fillet.
- About half a bag of baby spinach
- 2 salmon fillets
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- About 10 asparagus stalks
- 1 avocado
- Crumbled feta cheese sprinkled on top
- Fresh mozzarella cheese to garnish
- Spoonful of minced garlic
- Olive oil
- 1 cup Balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400
- Cook salmon for about 15 minutes, checking frequently
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions
- Bring 1 cup balsamic vinegar to a boil
- Reduce to simmer and cook for 15 minutes
- Half the cherry tomatoes
- Peel and cut the avocado into cubes
- Cut the asparagus into 1-inch pieces
- Place asparagus on a pan and coat with olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Place pan in oven and broil on low for about 5 minutes
- Flip, or shake asparagus pieces so that they turn over
- Return to oven and broil for about 3-5 more minutes
- Place the baby spinach on a plate or in a large bowl
- Top with all ingredients
- Sprinkle on feta
- Garnish with fresh mozzarella slices
- Pour olive oil and balsamic glaze over the salad
What are your thoughts on pepper, love it, hate it? I am fairly certain I am alone on this one!
Enjoy your delicious and nutritious salad!!